San Antonio Medical Mistakes Lawyer
Top Rated Medical Mistakes Lawyer in San Antonio, TX
What is a Medical Mistake?
Unfortunately, medical mistakes are common in San Antonio and can have severe consequences for patients. These errors can be from misdiagnoses, supervision errors, and surgical complications and may sometimes result in permanent injury or even wrongful death. Healthcare professionals play a crucial role in treating patients, but when medical negligence occurs, it is essential to seek legal help.
Experienced attorneys, like those at the Snapka Law Firm, can help clients pursuing compensation navigate the complex legal process and ensure the victims receive the settlement they deserve from the responsible party. If you or a loved one has experienced a medical mistake, contact the Snapka attorneys today for a free consultation and case review.
Can I Sue for a Medical Mistake?
To pursue legal action and seek compensation for a medical mistake, it is essential to demonstrate that an injury resulted from the healthcare professional’s error and that negligence played a part in causing the harm. Proving negligence in medical malpractice cases can be challenging, as it requires establishing that the medical professional or facility failed to meet the standard of care expected in their profession. Additionally, Texas has a statute of limitations for medical mistake lawsuits, meaning that victims have a limited time to file a claim. Consulting with a medical mistakes lawyer is crucial in determining your legal options, the viability of your case, and ensuring that all legal requirements are met.
Common Medical Errors
Medical errors can occur in various forms. Some common examples are:
- Misdiagnosis: Incorrectly diagnosing a patient, leading to inappropriate treatment and potentially causing further injury.
- Delayed diagnosis: Missing crucial signs and symptoms, resulting in a lack of timely medical treatment.
- Birth injuries: Injuries to the mother or child during labor and delivery due to negligence or delivery errors.
- Medication errors: Prescribing or administering incorrect medications or dosages, which can have severe consequences for the patient, such as life-threatening reactions or the need to treat infections caused by the wrong drug.
- Surgical errors: Medical mistake surgeons operating on the wrong site, leaving instruments inside the patient, or causing damage to organs or tissues.
- Anesthesia errors: Incorrect administration of anesthesia, leading to severe complications or even death.
- Early discharge: Releasing a patient from the medical facility before they are medically stable, potentially leading to complications or readmission.
Healthcare professionals play a vital role in preventing these resulting injuries by adhering to best practices and maintaining clear communication within their teams. Statistics and real-life examples highlight the severity and impact of these errors on patients’ health and well-being.
Filing a Medical Malpractice Case in San Antonio
The timeline for filing a lawsuit in Texas typically begins with a two-year statute of limitations. The lawsuit process includes several steps, such as investigation, document gathering, and securing expert witnesses to testify on behalf of the plaintiff. Expert testimony from professionals in the same field is often crucial in establishing that the medical professional or facility failed to meet the medical standard under similar circumstances. Mediation and settlement negotiations may take place in an attempt to resolve the case without going to trial. If a settlement cannot be reached, the case may proceed to trial, extending the lawsuit process’s duration. The time it takes for a claim to settle varies, depending on the case’s complexity and other factors.
Why You Need a Medical Mistakes Attorney
Hiring a medical mistakes attorney offers numerous benefits, such as legal and medical expertise, knowledge of compensation, and assistance in proving negligence. Representing oneself in a medical malpractice claim can be challenging, as the legal process is intricate and requires a thorough understanding of both the law and the medical field. The Snapka Law Firm has a team of experienced attorneys specializing in medical malpractice litigation and personal injury claims, boasting a track record of successful verdicts and settlements.
Compensation for a Medical Error
In Texas, compensation for medical error cases can be categorized into three main types:
- Economic Damages: Economic damages compensate the victim for the actual financial losses incurred as a result of the medical malpractice. These damages can include medical expenses, future medical costs, lost wages, and loss of earning capacity. There is no cap on economic damages in Texas, which means the victim can recover the full amount of their financial losses.
- Non-Economic Damages: Non-economic damages are intended to compensate the victim for intangible losses, such as pain and suffering, emotional distress, and loss of enjoyment of life. Texas has implemented a cap on non-economic damages in medical malpractice cases. The caps are as follows:
- $250,000 per claimant against a single healthcare institution or physician.
- $250,000 per claimant against all other healthcare institutions, with a maximum of $500,000.
- The total cap for non-economic damages in a single case is $750,000.
- Punitive Damages: Punitive damages may be awarded in cases where the defendant’s actions were particularly malicious or reckless. These damages are intended to punish the wrongdoer and deter others from similar misconduct. In Texas, punitive damages are capped at the greater of $200,000 or two times the amount of economic damages plus non-economic damages up to $750,000.
It is important to keep in mind that each medical error case is unique, and the actual compensation awarded will depend on the specific circumstances of the case. Consulting with an experienced medical malpractice attorney is crucial to determine the potential value of a case and to seek the maximum compensation possible.
If You Were a Victim of a Medical Error in San Antonio, Texas, Contact Our Medical Mistake Lawyers Today
If you or a loved one has been a victim of a medical error in San Antonio, it is crucial to contact the Snapka Law Firm for a free consultation and case evaluation. Hiring an experienced medical mistakes lawyer can make a significant difference in the outcome of your case, ensuring that your legal rights are protected and that you recover compensation.
Our firm offers extensive expertise in handling medical malpractice cases and works on a contingency fee basis, meaning there are no upfront costs for their clients. By choosing the Snapka Law Firm, you can rest assured that your case is in the hands of seasoned professionals dedicated to achieving the best possible outcome for you and your family. Don’t hesitate to reach out and begin the process of seeking justice for the harm caused by a doctor and their medical error.
What Makes the Snapka Law Firm, Injury Lawyers Different?
At the Snapka Law Firm, we understand the devastating consequences of a serious injury resulting from another's negligent actions. Not only do we provide tenacious legal representation, we help you get through this trying time by dealing with the burdens of your personal injury case on your behalf. Every case we accept is handled personally by one of our attorneys who will be committed to helping you understand the process while preparing your case for resolution. As a small but highly focused firm, we provide a more personalized attention to detail that you won't often find with larger law firms. With decades of courtroom experience, the Snapka Law Firm has delivered our clients millions of dollars in compensation as a result of successful verdicts and settlements. With our personalized touch, extensive experience, and strong relationships with investigation specialists and industry experts, you'll be represented by one of the best personal injury law firms in South Texas.
Kathryn Snapka is one of the few attorneys in Texas that is board certified in personal injury trial law and her firm has been recognized by the National Board of Trial Advocacy, Super Lawyers, Texas Trial Lawyers Association, American College of Trial Lawyers, and American Board of Trial Advocates. Our firm has won hundreds of cases for injury clients resulting in a reputation amongst defense attorneys that deters them from taking their case to trial against us. When working with the Snapka Law Firm we fight for the highest compensation for your losses and damages with the least amount of inconvenience to you. If you have been a victim of a serious injury, contact us for your free personalized consultation today.